An update to the Jedediah Pants

Returning from our holidays is relieving in some way (I was really looking forward to going back to normal) but it’s also very frustrating because it leaves very little time due to some adjustments. There are clothes to be washed and folded, there is also a big mess in our living room (sewing doesn’t help) and I have nine bags of clothes to be donated but Caritas parishes are on vacation until September. That means that my drawers have more space but all those nine bags are in several places of our tiny apartment. I don’t have a dedicated sewing space and having all this junk around doesn’t help to find the motivation to take out the fabric, cut it and sew it. The worst thing is my queue is immense. I want to make all sorts of things, and I want to get most of them done before the summer heat abandons us. It’s still almost 40ºC here but spending a week in the cold and rainy Belgium reminded me that Autumn and Winter are there waiting for us.

This past weekend I’ve started working on this:

Yes, it’s a back pocket of the Jedediah pants. I did not stitch any marks on it because this was just a muslin and I just wanted to check the pockets placement.

I modified the pattern to make place for Koen’s muscular thighs. I cut a 36 for the waist and seat but I graded to a 40 on the thighs and from the mark where the shorts end I cut it straight down instead of tapered in.

Apart from being two inches too long, I think the fit is quite right. Koen wanted a little bit more room on the thighs so I altered the pattern a little bit more and trimmed those two extra inches.

They are doing the shorts version on the sewalong but as we are already at the end of August, Koen decided that we should go for the pants instead, since I foresee this to take me some time. I expect to have fabric left over so I can always make the shorts later on.

I’m now working with the linen and it’s a bitch to get it pressed. I just hope the result is good enough. I’ll keep you posted.

Comments

  1. Thank you. I have to say that they look much better than I expected. This is my first time making men’s trousers and sometimes you get bad surprises after making mods.

  2. I really like the leg width that you’ve come up with! The fit is looking super as well 🙂 I hope the rest of the sewing process goes just as well for you!

    1. Thank you, Morgan! I also like the fit and Koen seems very happy with it. I expect to finish the pants today with the real fabric. I just need to finish the waistband, attach the upper part of the belt loops, make the buttonhole and hem it 😀 The only thing is that the linen is driving me nuts! Thank you for the wonderful pattern and the lovely instructions you are including in your blog 🙂

Comments are closed.